Aspens Accident

On Wednesday we had gone up to Pocatello to meet with some friends. We had gone to a park to play. We were only there for about 30 minutes when we heard Aspen crying and screaming. We had found out later what had happened. There was a little girl who asked Aspen to move over for her little sister and so Aspen did, and fell. She was on a playground climber and fell about 5 feet. She landed on her head on the step (with the poky traction) and then as she continued to fall her face rubbed against the metal stair and it tore her lip in the corner about 1/2 inch, and when she fell she broke her arm just above her wrist. This is a picture about 1 1/2 hours after it happened.
I was finally able to calm her down with the help of others. She had a Dr. that made her smile. He had come in and wanted to look at her lip and as he did he saw a bunch of sand. He asked her " hey, did you have a 'SAND-which'? Aspen , trying so hard not to laugh or smile, chuckled a little and said "dont make me laugh"! In the picture below this is about 4 hours later ,the swelling had gone down quite a bit, still very huge though.

They had given her a teddy bear at the hospital, they had to scrub the dirt out of her face and so they gave her the bear to squeeze. His name is Tumble, because she took a tumble! =)

This was taken as we left the hospital. Her arm is in a splint and we will take her to our Dr on Monday for a cast. She was just glad to get out of the hospital without stitches in her lip. The plastic surgeon said it should heal fine if she doesnt move it too much. So for now, its a liquid diet. She gets ice cream, pudding, jello, yogurt whenever she wants!!This is little Aspen today. The swelling from her head has gone down her face (due to gravity). Her eyes are swollen and so is her cheek. It seems her lip is not so swollen so maybe it will heal alright. She is getting tired of feeling yucky. Anyone who knows Aspen knows she is quite the go getter! She is very energetic, and outgoing. I miss my loud Aspen=) Things are not the same in our home. She sure has been quite the trooper, still thinking of others. I love that about her!
I hope she hangs in there, and she feels a whole lot better by school next thursday.

11 comments:

Sara M said...

Oh sweet Aspen, so sorry you are not feeling your best. We all hope you get feeling better soon. Love ya sweetheart.

Stac said...

that is really sad. They gave Zoee a bear when she got hit by the car and we named the bear "crash" because as Zoee says, the car just came and crashed into her. I hope Aspen feels better soon!

Unknown said...

oh poor girl! That really looks like it hurts. Hope she heals nicely and that you are surving as well.

Soccer Mom said...

Oh! I just want to hug and kiss her and make it all better! I hope she heals quickly!!!

Trisha said...

Poor girl, oh my gosh. I hope that she heals really quick before schoo..

Handsfullmom said...

Oh -- the poor thing!

Teresa said...

Oh Lana, that brings back so many memories. As a child I fell out of our hayloft and ended up getting stitches in my forehead and upper lip! Aspen is on lucky little girl, she so easy could of had a spinal injury. She was being watched. Your a tough and brave little girl Aspen, hang in there you cutie!

April said...

Poor Aspen. I hope she's feeling better and what a story to start school with!

Katie said...

what a little trooper. i like that SANDwich joke. Good doctor.

Elizabeth said...

These pictures make me so sad for Aspen! We hope she feels better soon!

Donene said...

Oh, I am so sorry, that looks so miserable, hope she is doing better.